My unit is broken into 3 parts. The first 3 days I will be working on having the students write silly animal stories. There are 2 books I will be reading during the beginning of the 1st and 2nd day's lesson. The books are called CLICK, CLACK, MOO: Cows that Type which is about typing cows that lead a strike in Farmer Brown's barnyard and My Little Sister Ate One Hare which is about a little sister who eats many gross things (counting book). I will model how to write a silly animal story after I read CLICK, CLACK, MOO: Cows that Type on day 1. I will then model capitalizing proper nouns in a story and approximating spelling using letter sounds. The students will then be given time to write their silly animal story and share it with a partner. We will come back together as a class and share a few of the stories. On the second day I will read My Little Sister Ate One Hare and the students will "Think, Pair, Share" on examples of silly "my little sister/brother" sentences. I will then model how to write silly "my little sister/brother" sentences with the whole class. A few examples are "my little sister plays in the mud" or "my little brother turns green at night." The students will then write their own silly "my little sister/brother" sentences and share them with a partner. Finally on day 3 (end of first part of my unit) the students will write a whole silly "my little sister/brother" story and share it with a partner.During the next 4 days I will be working on having the students write scary stories. There are 2 books I will be reading during the beginning of 2 lessons in this part of my unit. The books are called Harry and the Terrible Whatzit which is about the child named Harry who finds something terrible in the cellar and The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything which is about a little old lady who is determined to be brave, even when she is being chased through the forest. On the first day I will introduce the word wall to my students and read aloud Harry and the Terrible Whatzit. We will discuss as a class how the author makes this story scary and make a chart of scary words and things. The students will first "Think, Pair, Share" on examples of scary sentences. I will then model how to write scary sentences with the whole class. A few examples are "the stairs creaked in the castle" and "the night was dark and stormy." The students will be given time to write their own scary sentences and share them with a partner. The second day focus around the students actually writing a whole scary story. The third day I will read The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything and I will model how to add descriptive words (sight and sound) to make their scary stories come to life. The students will then be given time to edit their stories. On the forth day we will share the stories with the class and discuss how to appreciate other students' work. On the last 3 days of my unit I will not be reading or modeling to the students, but they will be expanding the lessons on what they learned the past 7 days. The students will have to come up with their own idea on what to write about and I will introduce author's chair for students to share their writing with the class.
My main struggle with this unit is how will I make it interesting for the students. Jenn suggested I make a class book of silly and scary stories. I was thinking of having the students make pictures to go along with their stories during their free time. I don't want to include it during the lesson because my students will take the whole time drawing and none of the time writing and I only have an hour each day for writer's workshop.
Any suggestion on how could I make my lesson interesting but not time consuming?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.