Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lesson Planning

I will not be teaching my literacy unit plan for another two weeks. I plan on taking over reader's workshop for my two week unit. I am already in charge of read aloud and read aloud discussion, but i plan on including that in my unit plan as well. I plan to teach making connections with text: text-to-text, text-to-self, and text-to-world. The students will practice making connections as a group during our read aloud discussion time. Each day I will read a different read aloud book that the students are familiar with--I will know that the students are familiar with the book because it will be a book that we have read in read aloud before. I will choose to use texts that the student are familiar with so that they can focus on the given task (making connections) more than focus on getting to know the text for the first time.

I plan on having students look for the connections they will make during their reader's workshop individually, and we will have a share time every day after reader's workshop. Where I am stuck in this lesson is where I will assess the students. I can informally assess the students during share time and I can speak with students during conferences, but I will not have time at the end of the unit to conference individually with every single student. I also know that my students are not complex enough to complete a written response. I know that I can assess the students on their interests and their progress within the target area, but how will I do this? I know their reading levels, so would there be a way to assess the students during a guided reading group? I am stuck here--any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I would conference with around 5 students everyday to assess their learning. I would conference with students you know will grasp the concept early in the unit and wait till later in the unit to assess students you know might struggle. I will be conferencing with my students like this for writer's workshop since I know many of my students can't write so I want them to attempt to write and have them tell me their story so I know how they are writing certain words. I would also get a check list so when you do conference with a student and want to see if they grasped the concept later in the unit you could go back to that student and have a mini conference on that specific thing.

    Hope that helped.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.